Wednesday, June 10, 2009

18 Days


Taylor and I have been married now for 18 days. Eighteen! I realize this isn't a milestone day. At least not more of a milestone than day 16 or 17 or even day 19 will be. Nonetheless, the past eighteen days have been more lovely than I could have ever hoped for. And blog-worthy.

I love being married. I realize full well that I have lucked out in the husband department. He's amazing. It's strange to think that we began our adventure together two and half years ago. In some ways I feel like I have known and loved Taylor for my whole life. It even seems as though some of the stresses in our relationship has disappeared since we got married. No more wedding worries. No more strange holding pattern of being almost married, but not.

I love coming through the apartment door and seeing him sitting at the desk. I love coming home for lunch and finding that he has made me a sandwich. I love saying goodnight to him and knowing I'm going to wake up to him. I even love how he steals my pillow when I get out of bed in the morning. Being married, at least for me, means having a soft place to land.

We agreed long before we got married that we wanted our marriage to be a partnership. We both consider ourselves to be "egalitarians." It's simply a fancy word to mean that we believe we're equals. Taylor doesn't have to "bring home the bacon", and I don't have to be waiting at the door in an apron with supper ready. Ironically, we seem to be living out exactly what we believe at this point. I work full-time and Taylor spends his days job hunting and taking care of things in the apartment. He's a "Househusband", as he calls it.

Married life is good. Very good. :)





1 comment:

  1. Tsk tsk, Emily. I object to your definition of "egalitarian," on the basis that it creates a false dichotomy. After all, I'm a complementarian. It's simply a fancy word to mean I believe Laurel and I are equals. I don't have to "bring home the bacon," and she doesn't have to be waiting at the door... etc etc.

    It's not about who does what that determines "egalitarian" or "completmentarian," but rather what model of relationship one sees demonstrated between Christ and the Church (in Gospels and as described by Paul).

    Aren't you glad I read your blog? :P

    ReplyDelete